Hi!

Since its GPLv2, I don’t see why not you read the source for optimiser trace,
and implement it into the GPLv2 MariaDB Server. A lot of MariaDB Server
contains merged outright or cherry picked features from MySQL and this is
“fine”.

I think optimiser trace would be an awesome feature to have as well —
https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-6111 —it  has been a feature request for
nearly 4 years, and has existed in GA MySQL 5.6 for over 5 years.

Good luck!

> On 20 Mar 2018, at 15:17, Lixun Peng <pengli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Shuai!
>
> I think you can read MySQL source code, but you can't use any exist code of
> MySQL.
> You should use different code even new way to implement the same feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Lixun

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am a first year graduate in Peking University major in math. I started to
> take part in algorithm contests at grade 7 so I have a lot of programming
> experience and I am very well trained in algorithms and data structures. In
> my childhood memory MySQL was the most popular DBMS choice for personal
> website (LAMP stack). However it was acquired by Oracle as I grew up.
> In this year's GSoC projects, `optimizer trace' interested me particularly.
> It would be great for MariaDB to have this functionality. This functionality
> is already implemented in MySQL. So my question is, can I read MySQL's source
> code implementing this function? Would that cause legal problems? Thanks very
> much!
>
> Regards,
>
> Zhang Shuai.

> --
> Oracle ACE Director for MySQL
> Staff Database Engineer of Alibaba Cloud
>
> Tel: +86 18658156856 (Hangzhou)
> Blog: http://www.penglixun.com

Colin Charles, http://bytebot.net/blog/
twitter: @bytebot | skype: colincharles
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win." -- Mohandas Gandhi