John Gruber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 9/25/06 at 3:09 PM:

> My thinking is that this can be solved by changing the rules for
> link IDs to state that they can only contain embedded literal
> brackets if (a) they're properly nested; or (b) they're backslash
> escaped.
>
> Objections or suggestions?

My other thoughts, I should add:

*   We could also just tighten the rules for link ref IDs all the
    way, and outright ban literal `[` and `]` chars in the IDs.

*   Even if we allow them, it might be easier, both in terms of
    code and documentation, to simply state that they must be
    backslash-escaped.

After a few more minutes of thought, I'm having a hard time coming
up with a good reason why `[` and `]` shouldn't just be banned
characters for link ref IDs.

-J.G.