* Michel Fortin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-12-29 21:05]:
> while PHP Markdown use John's Perl implementation as a
> reference, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the right thing
> to do. But until that changes, I'll probably follow what is
> done in Perl for the sake of compatibility.

The problem is that Markdown is quite underspecified in a range
of corner cases. Some aspects are only defined by the behaviour
of Markdown.pl, eg. blank lines being optional around blockquotes
and headings in some circumstances. I see this as a consequence
of the fact that John chose to implement it as a series of search
and replace operations; a proper parser would have necessitated a
largely rigorous grammar.

Regards,