On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Michel Fortin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Le 2008-03-04 à 13:15, david parsons a écrit :
>

>  >   But what's the intent of ***hello*, sailor**   ?
>  >
>  >   Should it produce
>  >    2. <strong>*hello*, sailor</strong>
>  >    3. *<strong>hello*, sailor</strong>
>  >    4. ***hello<em>, sailor<strong>
>  >    5. ***hello*, sailor**
>  > cry) ?
>
>  I'd say 1:

<snip>

>  A better question is what to do with this:
>
>      *hello **dear* boy**

For cases like these, I'd say that Markdown shouldn't do anything.
>From the official Markdown page:

> The overriding design goal for Markdown's formatting syntax is to make
> it as readable as possible. The idea is that a Markdown-formatted
> document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking
> like it's been marked up with tags or formatting instructions. While
> Markdown's syntax has been influenced by several existing text-to-HTML
> filters, the single biggest source of inspiration for Markdown's syntax
> is the format of plain text email.

So, the question is: Would you ever see **mismatched *asterisks***
intentionally written in plain text email?

I don't think so, because it doesn't make intuitive sense. And if I
can't make sense of the plain text, why should Markdown define one
interpretation as being correct?

Steve