On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:33:49AM +1200, David Chambers wrote:
> I'm planning to update Mango <http://mango.io/wtf?> to facilitate adding
> video to Markdown documents. At the moment, of course, it's possible to
> include video by including the appropriate HTML. There are three reasons,
> though, that having syntax (official or unofficial) for video is a good
> idea:
>
>    - *Simplicity.* Writing something like [youtube:gPbh6Ru7VVM] is easy.
>    Including half a dozen lines of HTML is much less so.

 I don't know if it's feasable until a standard way of doing video
 emerges and the video-station websites start following it.  A html5
 <video> block is lovely, but it's not very useful until the bulk of
 the web world can deal with it without complaint.

> My question is, *has anyone given thought to an appropriate syntax for video
> in Markdown?*

    Sure.   We've got the framework for it:

    [text](object:[content-type:]url [=size] ['comment'])

    And then you can do something like

    [![no support for this content
here](sorry.gif)](video:x-shockwave-flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/oFHSZLIOLZs
=425x328 'this may not be terse, but at least it's not naked html')

    [Honk!](audio:/~orc/klaxon.wav)

    without introducing (another form of) ascii spaghetti to the language.

    -david parsons