I myself have thought about the benefits of establishing a standards
body/committee/whatever to define Markdown moving forward.  One
comment --- if JG is not going to further maintain Markdown, such a
syntax may need to be renamed to make it clear that it not his
canonical version, but is something else.

I am not convinced that such a thing is *necessary*, but I would not
be opposed to its existence and would be interested in ensuring
MultiMarkdown is compliant should such a standards group be created.

F-

Fletcher T. Penney
fletc...@fletcherpenney.net