>The CMS outputs webpages, and we want them to look GNOMEy. So we need a
>design to create a template or theme from.

Now I understand, well in that case then I think mockups should be made
graphically. When the CMS has been chosen then the template can be made for the
CMS via PHP, XHTML and CSS using the graphical image. I guess thats your
intention right? (Sorry I'm new to the project, just asking dumb questions to
understand your processes). I must say I'm all for Drupal, CMS such as Joomla
are hard to customise, but I know Drupal is very flexible, infact KDE are using
it.

Regards

Lee