On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Jason D. Clinton <m...@jasonclinton.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Stormy Peters <sto...@gnome.org> wrote:
>
>> As we think about how to increase our subscriber numbers, this article
>> had some interesting points about membership.
>>
>> Eight Strategic Mistakes with Memberships
>> http://www.blueavocado.org/node/508
>>
>> In particular, I don't think we give donors a good idea of how their
>> donations change the world through GNOME.
>>

> People seem to love hearing about hackfests and I think what we could
> do--as the marketing team--is, after or during a hackfest event, post a blog
> post in cooperation with the Travel Committee about how much money was spent
> on the hackfest to make it happen with a link right there to become a
> subscriber. I really liked Brian Cameron's summary post of all the people
> who blogged about the UX Hackfest. If we could copy that style and put at
> the very top: "This is what it your money did, become a subscriber today!"

I like it.

Google sponsors just about every hackfest and they always ask for a blog
post. (That was part of the reason behind Brian's post - although I'm sure
he would have written one about the hackfest anyway.)

We also received a donation from an individual specifically for the PyGTK+
hackfest. We debated adding an address to paypal (like hackfe...@gnome.org)
specifically for hackfests.

Maybe the blog posts, along with the call for support plus the dedicated
email address would get support from those who really appreciate the
hackfests?

We could even let them subscribe just to support hackfests.

Stormy