On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Allan Day <allanp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frederic Muller wrote:
> > Dear marketing,
> >
> > Last foundation IRC meeting we touched on the Foundation approval of
> > some budget for goodies to teams that will celebrate GNOME 3.0 on the
> > release date.
>
> Great stuff! I'm looking forward to hearing the details of this (as well
> as trying to bag me some goodies)!

Yeah, same here.  It is possible I could throw one in Portland. This is
after all open source central here.  I need to figure out how to do the
logistics of it.  I should probably see if I can get some help with
organizing from the local Linux community.

> > How shall we announce this (and where)?
>
> Planet GNOME, Identica, Twitter, www.gnome.org... any others? (I'm
> interested in this too.)

Someone already mentioned facebook.  But there seems to be one or two
others.  What about Orkut?  I believe that is still fairly popular in latin
countries.

> > In fact I am also interested in a more generic question which is how do
> > we usually use our channels to announce stuff? I tried to motivate
> > people with the T-shirt contest but didn't receive much feedback except
> > from the people I contacted personally. How do we actually usually
> > promote stuff outside of the GNOME community? (I thought GUGs would be a
> > good way, but they seem a little bit sleepy ;) ).
>
> Good question! I've been thinking for a while that GNOME needs an
> outward facing media channel. The Planet and GNOME News are primarily

Well, GNOME Journal had the design of doing that since the articles were
geared for both inside and outside of our community.  I'm not quite sure
what a media channel like that is supposed to look like?  Sure, Planet and
GNOME assume a particular set of knowlede/idioms and what not.  Would you
have enough content to constantly use that channel that isn't release
information on GNOME modules and what not?  I think that's what you're
trying to say here, right?

> places where we talk to ourselves. www.gnome.org is outward facing and
> has a news section, but it isn't primarily a news site (you certainly
> can't subscribe to it)... A blog or news site where we talk to our
> partners and to GNOME enthusiasts would be a great way to promote GNOME
> and to keep people in tune with where the project is going. It'd need
> volunteers if it were to become an enduring reality, of course...

By partners I assume you mean distros like Ubuntu and Fedora?   Yes, it will
require quite a bit of work.  Generating content is a lot of work with a set
of volunteers.  Especially when apps for instance tend to be similar in
scope.  You have a lot of mail clients, a lot of panel replacements and so
forth they aren't particularly interesting for a working family, a family
with kids and so forth.  The apps tend to reflect a demographic in GNOME
that isn't quite in tune with families.  Perhaps I'm just being cynical.  As
I grow older I'm not as enamored of panel replacements or funky widgets like
I used to be.  I am interested in how GNOME will make my life easier by
generating recipes for dinner, providing me with a list of news in the
morning to read, keeping in touch with relatives and friends, reminding me
that I have a doctors appt today (I really do have one), or the latest
sports scores in the teams I'm interested in.  I want those apps.  If you
want to market to GNOME enthusiasts, it's not just the desktop itself which
we want to fade in the background as much as possible, but the apps it
generates.

Food for thought.

sri