On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Owen Taylor <otay...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I think launching quietly and assuming that it won't be picked up by
> Phoronix/LWN/Slashdot could leave us scrambling if (when!) that happens.
>
> It might be better to try and set expectations up front: when we are ready
> to launch, send a mail to gnome-shell-list, setting expectations for what
> works, and what is still being worked on, link to that mail from
> extensions.gnome.org (Like have a "learn more" link next to the
> Alpha/Beta banner on the web site), fix the problems that come up.
>
> I'm *sure* we don't want to send out a press release for a site that has
> been tested by about 5 people so far, however.

I think Owen is right.  I think people are going to know very quickly.  We
should set everything up and set all the expectations especially in regards
to stability.

I can't help but think some kind of message that "GNOME supports the 1%"
would be humorous.  (if you don't get the reference, it was something Greg
K-H coined in a G+ thread regarding GNOME 3.  eg the 1% that supports GNOME
with bug reports, feedback and what not.

Anyways, I"m eager to see this get into operation.

sri