On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Allan Day <allanp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emily Gonyer <emilyyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Meeting at GUADEC sounds like a great idea. When would work for everyone?
>> I don't know of any BOF that I'm 100% attending yet.
>>

> Yep, a meeting sounds good. I'm fully booked for the first two BoF days
> (30th & 31st of July), but could do the 1st if anyone is free then.
> Otherwise, we can try and organise something informally during the
> conference itself. There should be time.
>
> It might also be good to continue the discussion here - that'll give
> people who won't be at GUADEC (/ME waves to Sri and Christy) a chance to
> comment, and will maybe help to spur discussion when we do meet. So let me
> sketch a rough plan for how news could work...

Groovy.

> A key goal here needs to be keeping any system we have a simple and
> lightweight as possible, while still ensuring a regular stream of engaging
> and high-quality posts. Some ideas:
>
>  * We aim to have about three posts a week, including a mix of short and
> long posts on different subjects

I'm not sure if that is sustainable.  We will need a larger pool of
volunteers to do this I think.  (which is good for me, because I think we
have bought in a bunch of people, but we lose them because there is no work
to be done)

>  * We have a set of guidelines on when to post (ie. mid-week, preferably
> during daylight for North America and Europe)
>  * We have a small editorial team consisting of three or four people
>  * The schedule for posts is planned in advance by the editorial team at a
> monthly IRC meeting

This is good, nice flow.

>  * Each post has an assigned author and editor. It is the editor's job to
> ensure that the post is delivered on time and that it is checked for
> quality before posting.

Yep.

>  * If a post does not meet its deadline, we publish something else instead
> (hopefully from a queue of backup material) and keep it in a holding

We will need to build some of these things up.  We have a number of older
articles that didnt get published that we could draw on.

> pattern until a space in the schedule becomes available
>  * The editors maintain a document containing ideas for content, which
> anyone can add to. This gets reviewed at each monthly editorial meeting

Sounds good.  Although some stuff might be good to work on immediately
because it is a hot topic that week rather and you want to capitalize on it
instead of waiting till the end of the month.

> The existing gnome.org site provides almost all the infrastructure we
> need for this to happen. We can use it to store all our queued material
> (perhaps with a separate category for backup posts). We can easily use it
> to give people author and editor roles.

Thanks to our wonderful volunteers!

> Our list of post ideas can be a simple wiki page on live.gnome.org.
>
> The only infrastructure question is where to keep the publishing schedule.
> My personal view is that something semi-private to the editorial team is
> best for this; a Google Doc would work well, although maybe there's a free
> option that could work?

We should prioritize with a free option (free as in freedom) over google
docs.  We had a discussion on this already previously when it came to using
other google services like hangouts.

> Thoughts? Opinions?

Put it out there for you :)