>> Imho replication with attachments – typed blobs – is main feature.
> This makes no sense. Riak has that too.

No, it does not.

1) Typed blobs in Riak are just objects, not attachments to objects
2) They have limits – blobs larger than 50Mb are not recommended (in real
life I‘d say reasonable limit for Riak blob is about 10-20 Mb)

We see now that nearly any kind of complex OS ‘document’ – I mean files –
is a container, that encloses several resources and meta, describing how to
glue them together.

So nowadays documents, that are represented using files, are often
containers – but for most databases DB records in general are not. The only
exeption is CouchDB – and this feature is unique as far as I know.

Overhead you gain trying to glue several objects in one entity is generally
enormous. Replicating these entities is a challenge – but not with CouchDB.

For my clients I demonstrate this difference comparing ‘file’ and ‘email’.
(‘Just imagine you need to send new email for every attach, bla-bla-bla’).
Anyone even technically dumb catches difference in a second.

ermouth