On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen <
bjoern.michael...@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff, Hi all,
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:33:24 -0700
> Jeff Chimene <jchim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I took a quick glance at the package listing in Debian Sid. It looks
> > like they're going to include a lot of goodies that will make a nice
> > toolchain for writers.
> >
> > >  I hope they do a good job
> >
> > It looks like there's some housekeeping that needs doing to make the
> > raw package fit into the Debian standard file locations. To be
> > honest, I was a bit more concerned about branding issues (like
> > FireFox, TBird issues). Certainly including the optional bits will
> > make it a nice starting point for us (marketing) and downstream
> > distros.
> >
> > > but I use LibreOffice's web site .deb version on my desktop and I
> > > do hope it does not get messed up when it goes to registry.
> >
> > Right. However, it does mean that you're responsible for handling the
> > updates (but you knew that). I seriously doubt you will want the
> > version installed via the LibO web site in parallel with the version
> > from the repository. I'm guessing that your current version's
> > binaries are in /opt. When you load it from the repository, the
> > binaries will be in /usr/bin.
> >
> > I'm really of two minds on this. There is some software (Eclipse)
> > that I want the bleeding edge. It looks like LibO will also be of
> > that class.
> >
> > I will probably install LibO via Apt (from what I believe you refer
> > to as "The Registry") just to see how it looks. However, since I will
> > want to track release candidates, I won't use the repository for this
> > package.
>
> Just to let you know: Rene Engelhard and I are not hiding in some deep
> dark dungeon.

Hi Bjoern:

My apologies for speaking of you in the 3rd person.

 We are both part of the project and you can reach us here
> on the mailing lists and also on IRC. So if you have proposals for the
> packaging on Ubuntu or Debian, please let us know -- or, better yet:
> send us a patch. If you are interested, you will find the packaging
> repository here:
>
>  http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-openoffice/libreoffice.git;a=summary
>
> As for the status: AFAIK 3.3.1-1 is already building for Debian
> unstable (ask Rene for details). For Ubuntu, there is a 3.3.1~rc2
> version (same as final sourcewise, but missing some debian patches) for
> natty building in the libreoffice ppa:
>

> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Elibreoffice/+archive/ppa>
>
> If that build is good it will get into the main repository. Then, after
> adding the remaining finetuning that Rene did for 3.3.1, I will also
> make a version for maverick available in the ppa.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Bjoern

Do you have any thoughts about installing the DEBS vs. installing via
package managers? To reiterate my current understanding: I'm perfectly happy
installing via the DEBS directory. Nevertheless, if it would help as a QA
effort, I can also install from the repository. The issue I have with using
the latter as a permanent choice is that it will always significantly lag
any release candidate.

I track Debian Testing at my workstation. I don't really want to point to
Sid, as LibO may have dependencies that I don't want to install. So, the
repository would be Testing, and that will probably significantly lag any
RC.

Opinions?

Cheers.
jec