Hi Italo,

Good Estern to you too. I was not talking about features. Somewhere in the
menus they are all there. I was refering to reasons not to adopt and reasons
to dump LibO. Those are not necessarily missing features.

I think those complaints are important because "behind every complainer or
quitter there are 10 people not contented either".

Some facts from my own experience:

- Three times I tried to introduce OOo in organisations I that hired me.
Three times I failed. Reason number one: OOo/LibO lacks "normal view" and/or
"hide white space". Many people within  the companies found scrolling
through upper and lower margins so annoying they did not want to use OOo.
Maybe that is just a minor feature in your eyes, but it stoppend OOo at the
gate, three times out of three. Matthias Bauer is working on that now. God
bless him.

- Calc was not adopted because some things work differently from MSO. A
litte "switcher's guide" could have prevented the rejection. That is: if you
care enough about your potential customers to find out what bothers them and
accept that maybe - just maybe - you don't know everything that matters.
(Sure, trainers could have done wonders. But home users don't want to be
trained. They just want it to work the way they expect.)

- Students dropped OOo for another reason. Documents they composed in OOo
and saved as doc-files at home, were not printed in the proper layout
using the university Windows/MSO computers. Maybe their settings were wrong,
maybe they made stupid mistakes, but they had a very quick solution: they
dropped OOo and were very vocal about it.

I think little things like these are extremely important. As architect Mies
van der Rohe put it: "God is in the details".

Some time ago, Ubuntu/Canonical ran a "100 paper cuts" campaign. Users could
report little things that annoyed them and could be fixed easily. I think
LibO should follow that example (apart from the former users survey).

But you know best, so I guess it is not going to happen.

Bye,
Riemer

--

Muntinglaan 11, 9751 PT Haren
T 050 5348669, M 0651357148

Dit bericht is verzonden vanaf een Linux-PC. Windows-virussen
kunnen dus alleen voorkomen in doorgestuurde bijlagen.

Als dit bericht niet voor u bestemd is, wilt u het dan terug-
sturen en de ontvangen kopie ongelezen vernietigen? Dank u.