From: Thorsten Behrens <t...@documentfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Recruitment for Base (Was Re:
[steering-discuss] Base - a new mailing list?)
To: "David Nelson" <li...@traduction.biz>
Cc: marketing@global.libreoffice.org, "Michael Meeks" <mme...@novell.com>
Date: Thursday, 22 September, 2011, 11:13

Hi David - always helps to Cc people you address, otherwise things
may linger in my inbox for a while, depending on where I focus on.

David Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know that the PostgreSQL developers are interested in closer
> > integration with OOo from direct talks with them and we will be
> > looking at this in more detail and we have realistic chances of
> > getting significant funding resources.
>
> This sounds like one possible good move for LibreOffice: Base as as a
> front end and PostgreSQL as the engine at the back.

Just get the postgresql connector working, and included into the
Oracle SGA grant. Code old-ish & may need minor tweaks. Base has
always been reasonably backend-agnostic.

> Although, like Tom, I'd love to see TDF get something moving with
> Google (one of our supporters, no?) and work on Google Docs
> integration.

What does GDocs have to do with Base specifically?

> Michael, Thorsten, could you maybe explain to us what the problems
> and prerequisites would be for the above?

No real probs there - only that all of this is not addressing Base
core development. ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten