Hi Drew, *,

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 14:10 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> [hub.libreoffice.org stable redirector URLs]
>> So when you have a "reusable" idea (one where it is beneficial to have
>> a long lasting, stable URL that might point to different pages over
>> time), feel free to ask to have such a redirection setup.
>
> ...though, I'm not quite sure I agree that it matters more for a
> published URL represented by a glyph used for machine scanning over one
> represented by human readable text.

Oh, didn't want to imply that it was - rather than whenever you need a
URL that still should point to something useful in two or more years.
When the link is put into some "real world" stuff that you cannot
change afterwards (like a released version of LibreOffice - you cannot
change LO that was already installed by the user, and you cannot
change printed copies of flyers or books....)

> At the end of the day, typed or scanned, the URL either landed somewhere
> usable or not. Which is to say, it is the type of media that adds the
> additional need for long term stability to the URL IMO, hard copy
> printing, and perhaps even video, being such media.

Exactly. I don't know where you got the idea that I'd think it matters
more for QR-Codes, but I'm glad that you share my actual point :-)

> So I think we actually agree :), that I and others, should take extra
> caution when choosing URL's, of any type, for printed materials.

Yes :-)

> Anyway - I do like the specific glyph Simon produced and the general
> idea, for sure, definitely thinking we ought to incorporate such in a
> variety of artifacts.

Yes, I'd love to see a QR-Code on every LO booth - some might say
"Welcome dear visitor, thanks for taking time to scan this code, what
about talking to our staff - when you say "<codeword>" you'll get a
cookie" :-D

> ps - Seems like the hub.libreoffice.org/donate is a good idea - but
> best I suppose to discuss that in a different thread?

Yes, please :-) you can then use it like
hub.libreoffice.org/donate?event=whatever or similar to make use of it
for specific campaigns/events.

ciao
Christian