Hello Immanuel,

Le mardi 01 janvier 2013 à 10:15 -0500, Immanuel Giulea a écrit :
> The reason I asked the question about licences is that I'm not technical.
> I'm not a developer. So to me opensource is just better than proprietary
> because the code source is available. I get that. For others, its simply
> about pricing.
>
> When I switched from OOo to LO, I didn't notice any big differences.
>
> So, back to my original question and I'll try to rephrase it:
>
> If not for the differences in licences, why should end-users choose LO over
> AOO when migrating away from MSO? How is LO a "better product"?

You can answer them in two ways:
difference of features
difference of governance and community strength.

To be very clear, I don' think anyone asked for a comparision between
the LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. You jumped in there yourself :-)

In terms of features , the two suites tend still tend to be quite
similar, you won't have a shiny advantage from one over the other
(things will change with the 4.0 I guess).

>From the community point of view , that's where differences are the most
important; read our PR and our published stats, you will find all the
litterature needed there. LibreOffice has the biggest and most diverse
community.

> In marketing, this is essential. Competitive advantage. AOO is the original
> project. LO the fork.

What? Where did you even read that? There was Openoffice.org. It was
sponsored by Sun Microsystems. Oracle bought it, actively sook to
undermine the project and the community, as a response, LibreOffice was
created by the community. One year later, Oracle dumped its trademark
over to Apache Software Foundation, open a project called "Apache
OpenOffice" under a new licence that was happily populated by IBM
employees.

Check the dates, check the press :-)

But back to the competitive advantage: we explained that while specific
product's features ought to be highlighted, we wanted to focus more on
LibreOffice as a community. Have you read our manifesto?

> LO will release version 4 in midfeb. AOO will release in April. MSO 2013
> sometime in the next three months will be available to consumers.
>
> Marketing strategies need to be targeted:
> For large organisations. For small business. For government. For consumers.
>
> LO already dominates Linux and this is great. So let's consider Windows and
> Mac OS.

No. Please read what was agreed on our Marketing Workshop and what was
repeated during the last marketing strategy call. This link might be
helpful:
http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2012/10/21/marketing-workshop-2012/

Best wishes for the new year,

Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,