Hi :)
I think psychologists have found that it's difficult for people to maintain
focus for more than 40mins.  Minds start to wander or drift off.  Some people
have tricks to give their mind a break earlier.  Things often don't start bang
on the time they are supposed to, especially in community groups.  So the 1
hour slots sound perfect and gives sessions "a bit of wriggle room".

I have been to conferences where some of the most productive work was in the
pub/bar afterwards.  "Networking" with people from similar organisations or
other departments and finding that some problems are not unique to your own
area but are fairly common and then finding that 1 person or other has a neat
work-around (often without even realising the problem has been hampering other
departments).

At a couple of conferences there have even been deliberate sessions set aside
as "workshops", usually to collaborate on some cross-discipline team-building
exercise or just to catch up on emailing or to go on a quick sight-seeing tour
(better as a 2hour block) or a tai-chi session to actively help  the mind
recover.  Again it doesn't look good on paper but has really elevated the
effectiveness of conferences.
Regards from
Tom :)