Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,

Le Fri, 2 May 2014 12:50:49 -0700 (PDT),
Rajesh Ranjan <rajeshka...@yahoo.com> a écrit :

> > On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:30 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
> > <charles.sch...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> > > Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,
> >
> > This is getting interesting :-)
> >
> > May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
> > - check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations,
> > what localization of constitutionally recognized language is
> > currently missing and who may work on it
> >

> Here is the list who is who of Indian libreoffice l10n as per the
> language team list :-)
>
> Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
> Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
> Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
> English - Stuart Swales
> Gujarati - Ankit Patel
> Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
> Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
> Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
> Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
> Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
> Nepali - Saaz Rai
> Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
> Punjabi - A S Alam
> Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
> Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
> Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir

Cool, thanks! It is an impressive list to be sure.

> On status page, all languages' translation are present though
> language teams are for only for the ^^ mentioned names. Teams need to
> be created for the following: Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Manipuri,
> Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi. Chandrakant is eager to push the
> translation for these languages. Probably the previous translations
> done for openoffice (possibly by c-dac) are here with libreoffice.

yes, although it depends on what happened with how active the people
were in 2010-2011 though.

> Through English is not in official 22, but I have added en-GB as well
> as this is one official language and its important in India is not
> less. So for overall promotion purpose we can count this language
> also.

good point.

> > - on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions
> > to raise LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its
> > distribution.
> >

> Sure...I have not any problem start discussing here right now but
> would like to come here with inputs from other languages' team
> maintainers and possibly after a face-to-face cum irc meeting with
> the people mentioned from lo team. This will be a inclusive view and
> would be more helpful to work for the plan decided here on the on the
> mailing list later.
>
> > What do you think?
>

> Hope this is okay?

Absolutely yes. Kannan has already explained the kind of wonderful work
they're doing on their side. Not knowing the Indian field reality
myself, I suggest you could discuss or even answer the following
questions:
- how do we raise brand awareness on LibreOffice in India
- are there specific approaches we can take to promote and have people
  download LibreOffice? Is the distribution of physical supports
  (cd-roms, usb keys) a better way ?
- LibreOffice is meant for pretty much everyone, but do we have to
  target a key population at first?
- LibreOffice is a community too: can we attract volunteers,
  developers, localizers, QA testers, documentation writers?
- let's run a local , small scale event somewhere in India and see who
  shows up. Repeat these events around the country.

Last but not least: do organize an IRC meeting or a physical meeting. I
think it's important.

What do you think?

best

Charles.

> regards,
> Rajesh
>

> > Best,
> >
> > Charles.
> >
> > On 2 mai 2014 19:08:15 CEST, Rajesh Ranjan <rajeshka...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Charles, Chandrakant and Kannan,
> >>
> >> It is good to see the activity related to Libreoffice for India.
> >> libreoffice is one of the most important flagship product of foss
> >> but in India the activity of promoting the lo is almost
> >> negligible. Its sad and we should certainly do some concrete
> >> effort regarding the same.
> >>
> >> I would also like to be part of it actively and would like to work
> >> a lot for libreoffice in India.  I am working for Hindi language
> >> since ten years in FOSS localization world. Earlier, I was
> >> associated with openoffice as well. I know lot of localization
> >> contributors/coordinators of different Indian language. I think
> >> they can also help us out to do organized marketing activity
> >> related to libreoffice in India.
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >>
> >> ------------------------
> >> Regards,
> >> Rajesh Ranjan
> >>
> >> www.rajeshranjan.in
> >> twitter: @kajha
> >> facebook: rajeshkajha

> > <kan...@iitb.ac.in>

> >> people.
> >> who
> > their
> >> expected,
> > hope to

> >> Localization and

> >> communities and i
> >> being carried

> >> promotional

> >> on
> > localizations
> >> can
> >> contributor to

> >> public
> >> guess

> > Currently
> > Development
> >> of

> >> years. I
> >> sectors
> > been

> >> think
> > take

> > active
> >> in
> > can i

> >> be deleted
> >>>

> > --
> > Envoyé de mon téléphone avec Kaiten Mail. Excusez la brièveté.
> >
> > --
> > sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin