On 08/04/2015 02:04 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 12:42:49PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
Just thinking out loud here, but maybe a general one would be about
Fedora Project in general, covering the community and aspects _other_
than the distro release? Focus on the Friends foundation, and ways to
get involved as a non-programmer (it is my impression that many users
think that one must be a programmer to join the Fedora contributor
community, which is of course very far from the truth).
If we're aiming the flyers at newbies, I think it's a bit weird to
press them to join in helping make something they don't use or even
fully understand yet, no?

I wasn't thinking of it as "pressing", but showcasing all the different
interesting and fun parts of the community.

Whatever verbiage is used, wouldn't such a flyer and accompanying pitch is and would be perceived as an upsell? (to convert them from a (not even yet?) user to a contributor?)

There's mutual benefit there, sure, but being a contributor is a much larger time investment than trying out the software, and I think it's a bit much on top of trying to relay the fundamentals about the software itself. Let them try the software and like it first (or not, then don't bother) before recruiting them.... and don't distract / muddy the message. If it's a conference with booths there's a lot of information they're going to be processing at once, my thought is keep the message focused, simple, to-the-point as you can for the best impact. I think the message to try / use Fedora is more important than to contribute to it at that stage.

I also don't know that brand-new-to-Fedora-as-a-user folks are going to have a great brand-new-contributor experience unless it's through a formal mentoring program (like Outreachy or GSoC or whatever where I think we do a really good job) and we are not equipped to do that at the volume I'm imagining such flyers would be printed at this point in time, right?

~m