If we are going to make significant changes to the wiki skin, it would
probably serve us to base those on the pending default MediaWiki software
and skin.

MediaWiki 1.16 beta has been announced,
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-announce/2010-March/000089.html,
with new features supporting skin changes. They also will be introducing
features to support a new default skin, Vector, developed by the Wikimedia
Usability Initiative, http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.

http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/01/babaco-enhancments/,

> Among the changes which have been made are many improvements in
> interactivity and aesthetics, but the most critical change is using an HTML
> iframe element together with a special design mode that modern browsers
> support, in favor of the previous HTML textarea. This paves the way for
> developing a rich editing experience with collapsible templates and syntax
> highlighting, as well as provides a foundation on which a WYSIWYG editor may
> eventually be built upon.

       --Fred