On 02/01/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
I think International Mother Language Day is relevant to a portion of
our mission ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mother_Language_Day
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/cultural-diversity/languages-and-multilingualism/international-mother-language-day/
So maybe we should plan something for March 21st?  (and a few days
before as well).

It is actually February 21st, right? The links state so.

Initiatives OpenOffice took in the past include this one (2007):
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Press_release_NL-P
You'll see a press release and a poster with all volunteers (which would surely display more geographical diversity if updated).

Personally, I can help on this, but I would need someone else to
volunteer to take the lead, in terms of planning and coordinating.  It
is not too early to start the preparations.

If it is February 21st, indeed there isn't a lot of time available and, since it falls between FOSDEM and ApacheCon that will see many volunteers busy, it would be great if someone takes the lead and starts with some actions.

Regards,
  Andrea.