Dear Interested Colleagues,
I would like to bring to your attention the following paper that was
published in Aquatic Toxicology:

Eric W. Montie, Patricia A. Fair, Gregory D. Bossart, Greg B. Mitchum,
Magali Houde, Derek C.G. Muir, Robert J. Letcher, Wayne E. McFee,
Victoria R. Starczak, John J. Stegeman, Mark E. Hahn. 2008.  Cytochrome
P4501A1 expression, polychlorinated biphenyls and hydroxylated
metabolites, and adipocyte size of bottlenose dolphins from the
Southeast United States. Aquatic Toxicology 86: 397-412.

Abstract

Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) bioaccumulate in blubber of marine
mammals. Therefore, it is important to understand the structure and
dynamics of blubber layers and how they affect the accumulation of POPs
and subsequent biochemical responses. We used established histological
and immunohistochemical methods to document the structure of bottlenose
dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) blubber and to assess the expression of
cytochrome P4501A1 (CYP1A1) in skin-blubber biopsies of dolphins sampled
in the waters off Charleston, SC (CHS) (N = 38), and Indian River
Lagoon, FL (IRL) (N = 36). CYP1A1 expression was strongest and most
frequent in capillary endothelial cells and was stratified in blubber;
the greatest CYP1A1 staining was in the deepest layer. CYP1A1 expression
in deep blubber and 2,3,7,8-TCDD Toxic Equivalents measured in the
entire blubber were significantly higher in dolphins from CHS as
compared to those from IRL. Adipocyte size was associated with the
extent of CYP1A1 expression. Male dolphins with smaller adipocytes from
CHS and IRL had higher levels of CYP1A1 expression in deep blubber. In
CHS females, CYP1A1 expression in vascular endothelial cells varied with
reproductive status. CYP1A1 expression in the deep layer was highest in
simultaneously pregnant-lactating dolphins, and these dolphins had the
smallest adipocytes in deep blubber. In all dolphins, CYP1A1 expression
in the deep blubber layer was positively related to concentrations of
hydroxylated PCBs (OH-PCBs) in plasma. In summary, redistribution of AHR
agonists from blubber into the circulatory system may enhance PCB
metabolism and production of OH-PCBs by induction of CYP1A1 in
hepatocytes and, possibly, by induction of CYP1A1 in endothelial cells
of the deep blubber. The OH-PCBs thus formed have the potential to
interfere with thyroid hormone homeostasis.

If you would like a reprint of this paper, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Eric Montie

--
Eric W. Montie
(Please reply using my USF email: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Postdoctoral Fellow
College of Marine Science
University of South Florida (USF)
140 Seventh Avenue, South; Room 2121
St. Petersburg, FL  33701-5016
Lab Phone: (727) 553-1237
Fax: (727) 553-1189
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Guest Investigator
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI)
Department of Biology; MS#32
Woods Hole, MA  02543
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]