New publication:

Baird, R.W., D.L. Webster, G.S. Schorr, D.J. McSweeney and J. Barlow. 2008.
Diel variation in beaked whale diving behavior. Marine Mammal Science
24:630-642.

Abstract

We investigate diel variation in beaked whale diving behavior using data from
time-depth recorders deployed on six Blainville's (Mesoplodon densirostris)
(255 h) and two Cuvier's (Ziphius cavirostris) (34 h) beaked whales. Deep
foraging dives (>800 m) occurred at similar rates during the day and night for
Blainville's beaked whales, and there were no significant diel differences in
ascent rates, descent rates, or mean or maximum depths or durations for deep
dives. Dive to mid-water depths (100-600 m) occurred significantly more often
during the day (mean = 1.59/h) than at night (mean= 0.26/h). Series of
progressively shallower "bounce" dives were only documented to follow the deep,
long dives made during the day; at night whales spent more time in shallow
(<100 m) depths. Significantly slower ascent rates than descent rates were
found following deep foraging dives both during the day and night. Similar
patterns were found for the Cuvier's beaked whales. Our results suggest that
the so-called "bounce" dives do not serve a physiological function, although
the slow ascents may. This diel variation in behavior suggests that beaked
whales may spend less time in surface waters during the day to avoid
near-surface, visually oriented predators such as large sharks or killer whales
(Orcinus orca).

Subscribers to Marine Mammal Science can download copies from
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118534279/home

Otherwise contact me for reprints. More information on this research can be
found at www.cascadiaresearch.org/robin/hawaii.htm

Robin

Robin W. Baird, Ph.D.
Research Biologist