The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe-asso.org) is seeking applications
from volunteers to help with fieldwork on killer whale energetic budget and fin
whale collision risk assessment in the Strait of Gibraltar. Fieldwork will take
place from 15 March to 31 May 2009 for the killer whale project and from 1 June
to 31 July for the fin whale project, using a similar protocol. Killer whale
project: 15 March-31 May
The killer whale population of the Strait of Gibraltar has a diet mainly based
on Bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus). This population is believed to be in danger
due to the rapid decrease of their prey under human fishing. They usually feed
on tuna using an “endurance-exhaustion” technique. This behaviour can be easily
observed from 2 land based stations on top of the cliffs of La Breña national
park, Andalucia, South of Spain. We wish to collect behavioural and positional
data (using binos and theodolite) from these land stations as well as blow
rates to assess the energetic budget of this foraging technique.

Fin whale project: 1 June-31 July
The fin whales observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the
Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and are still recovering from years of
hunting. Due to the high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at
least 2 ship strikes have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably
more remain unknown. Therefore, we would like to assess for this population the
risk of collision with tankers or ferries, or even smaller vessels such as
whale watching boats. We will use theodolite tracking from 2 land stations to
find the main routes for the fin whales as well as any behavioural changes in
relation to boat movements.

Volunteers should be available at least for one week study (see
http://www.circe-asso.org/english/index.html?voluntariado_en.htm&1) but long
period availability will be preferred. You will be responsible for your
transport to and from the main centre, but once there, we will provide
accommodation and transport to the land stations. You will be responsible for
your food expenses, but we will arrange communal shopping/cooking so that these
expenses will be low. Successful applicants will:- have a mature attitude
towards marine mammal research- be autonomous and quickly operational
- be able to live and work constructively with others in a team
- have (at least!) notions of English and/or Spanish (French?)
 Preference will be given to those who:- can commit for a long period
- have previous relevant marine mammal field experience
- have previous experience in theodolite handling, including tracking
Applicants should send an email introducing themselves to
voluntari...@circe-asso.org . The email should include an outline of why you
would like to work on this project, your qualifications and previous
experience. Please also attach a brief CV.
Applications will be accepted until 1 March for the killer whale project and 15
May for the fin whale project although early application is recommended as
applications will be examined in order of reception.

For more information, see
http://www.circe-asso.org/english/index.html?voluntariado_en.htm&1 (also
available in Spanish and French) or contact voluntari...@circe-asso.org

Best wishes

Pauline GauffierRuth Esteban

CIRCE (Conservation, Information and Research on CEtaceans)Cabeza de Manzaneda,
311390 Pelayo-Algeciras (CADIZ)SPAINhttp://www.circe-asso.org