Observatory):

Date: 27 August 2010
Hour: 17.00 to 20.00
Position: 1 Km West from Viareggio (Tuscany - Italy).
Bathymetry: +- 12 meters.

Our research catamaran Krill together with the Viareggio CoastGuard followed
the Humpback Whale, straordinary species inside the Mediterranean Sea, during
the swimming and breaching activity of the animal for about three hours. At the
end of the sighting the animal was swimming with a southward direction along
the coastline.
In the last two hundred years we had in the Mediterranean Sea only thirteen
sightings of Humpback Whale. The last well documented sightings: 2002 Trieste
and Senigallia (Italy), 2004 Siracusa (Italy), 2009 Trieste and now Viareggio
(Italy).
It could be very interesting to match data of the previous sightings to
understand if the sighted animal could be the same in the last years or if we
are in presence of different animals. Pls contact us at ce...@supereva.it or
bedocc...@yahoo.it to request images of the whale or to share data to
investigate together.
Sincerely,
Davide Bedocchi

Davide Bedocchi - Naturalist
CE.TU.S. Director

CE.TU.S. - Cetacean Research Centre
Via Degli Ontani 60, 55049 Viareggio (LU) Italy

e-mail: bedocc...@yahoo.it
Mobile: +39 3287524380
www.cetusresearch.org