Dear Colleagues,

I would like to bring to your attention the following paper, “Estimation
of southern resident killer whale exposure to exhaust emissions from whale
watching vessels and potential adverse health effects and toxicity
thresholds”. The article is currently in Press in Marine Pollution
Bulletin (doi: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2011.01.002), and can be found at
www.sciencedirect.com.

Abstract
Southern resident killer whales in British Columbia and Washington are
exposed to heavy vessel traffic. This study investigates their exposure to
exhaust gases from whale-watching vessels by using a simple dispersion
model incorporating data on whale and vessel behavior, atmospheric
conditions, and output of airborne pollutants from the whale-watching
fleet based on emissions data from regulatory agencies.
Our findings suggest that current whale-watching guidelines are usually
effective in limiting pollutant exposure to levels at or just below those
at which measurable adverse health effects would be expected in killer
whales. However, safe pollutant levels are exceeded under worst-case
conditions and certain average- case conditions. To reduce killer whale
exposure to exhaust we recommend: vessels position on the downwind side of
whales, a maximum of 20 whale-watching vessels should be within 800 m at
any given time, viewing periods should be limited, and current whale-watch
guidelines and laws should be enforced.

Please feel free to contact me with questions and for reprints.

Cheers,
Cara

Cara Lachmuth, MSc
5195 William Head Rd.