Dear colleagues,

I hope everybody is doing well. Two new contributions on DDT in Galapagos sea
lions were recently published. Please, see below

DDT in endangered Galapagos sea lions (Zalophus wollebaeki)
Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 62, Issue 4, April 2011, Pages 660-671

ABSTRACT
We characterize for the first time the presence of DDT and its metabolites in
tropical Galapagos sea lions
(
from 16 to 3070 lg/kg lipid. Concentrations of ∑DDT in pups in 2008 averaged
525 lg/kg lipid and were
1.9 times higher than that (281 lg/kg lipid) detected in pups in 2005. These
concentrations are lowerp,p'-DDE toxic effect concentration associated with
anti-androgenic effects reported in
than those reported in many pinnipeds elsewhere, comparable to those in
Hawaiian monk seals, and
higher than those in southern elephant seals. The health risk characterization
showed that 1% of the male
pups exceeded the
rats. The findings provide preliminary guidance on the relationship between DDT
use and ecological
impacts, serving as a reference point against which possible future impact of
tropical DDT use can be
assessed.

DDT Strikes Back: Galapagos Sea Lions Face Increasing Health RisksAMBIO: A
Journal of the Human Environment, 40(4):425-430. 2011.
Published By: Royal Swedish Academy of SciencesAMBIO: A Journal of the Human
Environment, 40(4):425-430. 2011.

If you would like an electronic pdf copy, please feel free to contact me
(jalav...@sfu.ca)

The articles are also available at:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X1100052X

http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.1007/s13280-011-0136-6

Cheers

Juan Jose AlavaZalophus wolleabeki).PDDT concentrations in Galapagos sea lion
pups sampled in 2005 and 2008 ranged