Dear colleagues,

Following information received from the National Cetacean Stranding Network in Greece, on the 8th of May personnel of the Ionian Dolphin Project had the chance to examine a stranded dead calf of bottlenose dolphin in the Amvrakikos Gulf, western Greece. The dolphin, a female of 130 cm of length presented a malformation of its fluke.

More information on the event and the context in which it took place can be obtained by reading the following post in the project's blog:
http://ioniandolphinproject.org/2012/05/13/fluke-malformation-in-stranded-bottlenose-calf/

Four pictures providing detail on the characteristics of this malformation (mutation?) can be viewed in our Gallery:
http://ioniandolphinproject.org/about-the-project/gallery/#stranded-bottlenose-calf

We would be grateful to those of you who could facilitate relevant information gathered while coming across a similar observation in bottlenose dolphins or any other cetacean species. We are also interested in papers and/or reports dealing with cetacean malformations and mutations that might shed some light on this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable collaboration. Please, report any comment, observation or literature to Joan Gonzalvo at joan.gonza...@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Joan Gonzalvo (*) and Alexandros Frantzis (**)
* Tethys Research Institute
**Pelagos Cetacean Research Institute