To the marine mammal community,

I'm pleased to announce a new book, "The Odyssey of KP2: An orphan seal, a marine biologist, and the fight to save a species", concerning our efforts to conserve the Hawaiian monk seal.

This is a risky book as it details the scientific, personal and social aspects of a species that is coming into increasing conflict with humans. The question is, will the public care enough about an isolated gray seal that they have never seen - and likely will never have the opportunity to see- to keep the species from going extinct? This truly is the biggest experiment one can conduct for marine mammals. We have linked the book to a new website that details the issues and how to become involved (www.savemonkseals.ucsc.edu).

With 50 years left for this species, time will tell if our experiment worked! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Terrie M. Williams, PhD
Center for Ocean Health - Long Marine Lab
100 Shaffer Road
University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95060