We are pleased to announce the publication of the following article:

Nicole E. Browning, Christopher Dold, Jack I-Fan and Graham A. J. Worthy (2014)
Isotope turnover rates and diet–tissue discrimination in skin of ex situ
bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus)
Journal of Experimental Biology 217: 214-221.  doi:10.1242/jeb.093963

thought to be influenced by a wide range of variables including metabolic rate,
age, dietary quality, tissue sampled and the taxon being investigated. In the
present study, skin samples were collected from ex situ dolphins that had
consumed diets of known isotopic composition for a minimum of 8 weeks. Adult
dolphins consuming a diet of low fat (5–6%) and high δ15N value had
significantly lower
Δ15N values than animals consuming a diet with high fat (13.9%) and low δ15N
value. Juvenile dolphins consuming a diet with low fat and an intermediate δ15N
value had significantly higher Δ15N values than adults consuming the same diet.
Calculated half-lives for δ15N ranged from 14 to 23 days (17.2±1.3 days).
Half-lives for δ13C ranged from
11 to 23 days with a significant difference between low fat (13.9±4.8 days) and
high fat diets (22.0±0.5 days). Overall, our results indicate that while
assuming a Δ13C value of 1‰ may be appropriate for cetaceans, Δ15N values may
be closer to 1.5‰ rather than the commonly assumed 3‰. Our data also suggest
that understanding seasonal variability in prey composition is another
significant consideration when applying discrimination factors or turnover
times to field studies focused on feeding habits. Isotope retention times of
only a few weeks suggest that, in addition, these isotope data could play an
important role in interpreting recent fine-scale habitat utilization and
residency patterns.

The full text and PDF is available at:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Graham_Worthy/?ev=hdr_xprf
Graham A.J. Worthy, Ph.D.
Provost's Distinguished Research Professor of Biology,
Hubbs-Sea World Endowed Professor of Marine Mammalogy, and
Director, Physiological Ecology and Bioenergetics Lab

Department of Biology, University of Central Florida,
4110 Libra Dr, Room BIO402A
Orlando FL 32816-2368

graham.wor...@ucf.edu<mailto:graham.wor...@ucf.edu>
http://worthy.cos.ucf.edu/PEBL/

407-823-4701 office
407-823-5769 FAX
skype: graham.worthy

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because
they have to say something"   Plato