Dear Colleagues,
The 18th Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research Open Science Conference
will be held from 25-29 August 2014 in Aukland, New Zealand.  The call for
abstracts is now open, and I encourage submissions
(http://www.scar2014.com/call-for-abstracts/).  Specifically, there will be a
session entitled: Influence of top predators on ecosystem diversity around
Antarctica: present processes and historical signal.

This session will aim to consider the Influence of top predators on ecosystem
diversity around Antarctica: present processes and historical signals.  Using
data from a range of taxonomic groups including seabirds, penguins, seals, and
whales, we seek presentations that will explore the relationships between
predators and their environment over a range of spatial and temporal scales.
We encourage multi-disciplinary presentations that develop or test ecological
relationships between top predators and the marine ecosystem.  We will seek to
bring together experts with a broad range of field and analytical methodologies
(e.g. telemetry, remote sensing) to provide a foundation for our current
knowledge on how predators influence ecosystem diversity as well as to
stimulate ideas for collaborative research to address these issues in the face
of environmental variability and climate-driven changes in the Antarctic marine
ecosystem.

Please email me if you have any questions, I look forward to seeing you at SCAR.

Ari Friedlaender
Ari S. Friedlaender, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Fisheries & Wildlife
Marine Mammal Institute
Oregon State University
Hatfield Marine Science Center
2030 SE Marine Science Drive