Dear Colleagues,

on behalf of the first author, I would like to announce a new publication.

Williams, R., Erbe, C., Ashe, E., Beerman, A., and Smith, J. (2014). Severity
of killer whale behavioural responses to ship noise: A dose-response study.
Marine Pollution Bulletin, 79, 254-260.

Critical habitats of at-risk populations of northeast Pacific ‘‘resident’’
killer whales can be heavily trafficked by large ships, with transits occurring
on average once every hour in busy shipping lanes. We modeled behavioral
as a dose–response function of estimated received noise levels in both
broadband and audiogram-weighted terms. Interpreting effects is contingent on a
subjective and seemingly arbitrary decision about severity threshold indicating
a response. Subtle responses were observed around broadband received levels of
130 dB re 1 uPa (rms); more severe responses are hypothesized to occur at
received levels beyond 150 dB re 1 uPa, where our study lacked data. Avoidance
energy expenditure, but future research must assess the potential for reduced
prey acquisition, and potential population consequences, under these noise
levels.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X13007376

Cheers,

Rob & Christine

Rob Williams <r...@st-andrews.ac.uk>

Christine Erbe
Director | Centre for Marine Science & Technology
Curtin University
GPO Box U1987, Western Australia 6845
Tel | +61 8 9266 7543
Mobile | 0407 0500 32