New paper: Inter-island
movements of common bottlenose

dolphins
Tursiops truncatus among the Canary

Islands: online
catalogues and implications for

conservation and management (Marta Tobeña)

Dear MARMAM subscribers,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our Note in the 2014 March of
African
Journal of Marine Science:

M Tobeña, A Escánez, Y Rodríguez, C López, F Ritter & N Aguilar (2014):
Inter-island movements

of common
bottlenose dolphins Tursiops truncatus among the Canary Islands: online
catalogues and implications for

conservation and
management, African Journal of Marine Science

*Summary:* A total of 313 individual common bottlenose
dolphins Tursiops truncatus was photo-identified in four Special

Areas of Conservation (SACs) in the western Canary Islands, Spain (El
Hierro, La Palma, La Gomera and Tenerife),

over a 10-year period (2001–2011). Of these, 36 individuals were resighted
subsequently off two or more different

islands, determined using online and conventional photo-identification
catalogues. This study provides the first

evidence of regular, long-distance movements undertaken by common
bottlenose dolphins in the Canary Islands.

Distances travelled ranged from 30 to 130 km between islands, demonstrating
that the species is highly mobile

within the archipelago. These results have important implications for the
conservation and management of this

species in this region and highlight the need to evaluate the efficiency of
existing SACs and to further explore

residency patterns.

For any questions or to request a PDF copy of this paper, please feel free

to email me at: marta_...@hotmail.com

Best,

Marta Tobeña