Dear Marmam Members,

We are pleased to inform you that our latest paper has been published:
Aylin Akkaya Baş, Ayaka Amaha Öztürk and Bayram Öztürk. 2014. Selection of
critical habitats for bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) based on
behavioral data, in relation to marine traffic in the Istanbul Strait, Turkey
Marine Mammal Science. DOI: 10.1111/mms.12202.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12202/abstract

Abstract:
Marine traffic is a significant source of disturbance to the bottlenose dolphin
population in the Istanbul Strait, Turkey. To determine the importance of this
threat, behavioral data together with sighting data of both dolphins and marine
vessels were assessed for 2012. The current study suggests that the Istanbul
Strait is used mostly as a foraging ground for bottlenose dolphins.
Nonetheless, in the same area there is intense marine traffic as well as
increase of industrial fishing activities in autumn. The findings of this study
indicated that high-speed ferries and high-speed boats were the most
significant source of disturbance. Moreover, increased densities of fishing
vessels resulted in a drastic decline of dolphin sightings. This study
highlights that vessel type, speed, distance, and density have a cumulative
negative effect on dolphins. In order to mitigate the impacts of vessels, it is
necessary to establish managed areas in the Istanbul Strait. Such proposed
areas should limit speed and density of marine traffic and have specific
restrictions on vessel routes. We propose three different seasonal managed
areas according to their values as critical habitat for bottlenose dolphins in
the strait.
Please e-mail me if you want a PDF copy.
Sincerely,Aylin AKKAYA BAS