Dear all

We have a paper in early view online in Oikos
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/oik.01810/abstract

Russell, DJF , McClintock, BT , Matthiopoulos, J , Thompson, P , Thompson,
D , Hammond, PS , Jones, EL , MacKenzie, M, Moss, S & McConnell, BJ.

Intrinsic and extrinsic drivers of activity budgets in sympatric grey and
harbour seals

Investigation of activity budgets in relation to seasonal, intrinsic (age,
sex) and extrinsic (time of day, spatial) covariates enables an
understanding of how such covariates shape behavioural strategies. However,
conducting such investigations in the wild is challenging, because of the
required large sample size of individuals across the annual cycle, and
difficulties in categorising behavioural states and analysing the resulting
individual-referenced and serially correlated data. In this study, from
telemetry tags deployed on 63 grey seals *Halichoerus grypus* and 126
harbour seals *Phoca vitulina* we used behavioural data, and movement data
within a Bayesian state–space model (SSM), to define population-level
activity budgets around Britain. Using generalised estimating equations
(GEEs) we then examined how time spent in four states (resting on land
(hauled out), resting at sea, foraging and travelling) was influenced by
seasonal, intrinsic and extrinsic covariates. We present and discuss the
following key findings. 1) We found no evidence that regional variation in
foraging effort was linked to regional population trajectories in harbour
seals. 2) Grey seals demonstrated sex-specific seasonal differences in
their activity budgets, independent from those related to reproductive
costs. 3) In these sympatric species there was evidence of temporal
separation in time hauled out, but not in time foraging. 4) In both
species, time spent resting at sea was separated into inshore (associated
with tidal haul out availability) and offshore areas. Time spent resting at
sea and on land was interchangeable to some extent, suggesting a degree of
overlap in their functionality. This may result in a relaxation of the
constraints associated with a central place foraging strategy. More
generally, we demonstrate how a large dataset, incorporating differing tag
parameters, can be analysed to define activity budgets and subsequently
address important ecological questions.

Please contact me for any more information.
Best wishes
Debbie

Dr Debbie Russell
Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU)
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling (CREEM)

Office:            +44 (0)1334 467281
Wednesdays: +44 (0)1334 461808

Postal address:
SMRU