Dear MARMAMers:

Once again, I am compelled to post on SeaWorld's current public relations
efforts. A recent paper in Marine Mammal Science, which went through
comprehensive peer-review, indicates that while survivorship rates have
improved in captive killer whales, survival to certain age milestones is still
poor compared to the wild. (It also found age milestones at which survivorship
declined in captivity, suggesting that husbandry practices during these life
stages are particularly problematic, such as separating juveniles from their
mothers.) A popular article about this paper was just published, in which Dr.
Doug DeMaster was quoted, as well as Dr. Todd Robeck, a veterinarian at
SeaWorld. The article is here:
http://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-short/tanked-killer-whales-captivity. Any
members of the Society can read the original paper, by John Jett, Ph.D. and
Jeff Ventre, M.D., online at
https://www.marinemammalscience.org/journal/read-the-journal-now/ (the article
is available under "early view").

Dr. Robeck, in his capacity as a representative of SeaWorld, is highly critical
of Marine Mammal Science and frankly of the peer-review process. (And I must
confess, it has not been MY experience that the Society has a "large
anti-captivity sentiment in a lot of [its] members.") This is typical of
SeaWorld - when the company does not like the facts as presented, it attacks
the presenter, whether it is an individual or a journal or an academic
association. In short, its typical response is the ad hominem attack, when it
should be a presentation of data that counters the claims of the analysis it is
criticizing. SeaWorld, in its ongoing PR campaign, has told people that captive
whales live as long as wild ones (see http://ask.seaworldcares.com/?p=131),
which is not supported by the peer-reviewed science. If the company has data
suggesting otherwise, it should publish it.

I call again for the Society for Marine Mammalogy to write to SeaWorld's
executives and ask them to stop misinforming the public about marine mammal
science and Marine Mammal Science. I strongly urge marine mammal scientists to
publicly respond to this PR campaign. This campaign is how many people are
learning about killer whales right now and they are being misinformed.

____________________________
[13_AWILogo_ONLY]

NAOMI A. ROSE, PH.D.
Marine Mammal Scientist

ANIMAL WELFARE INSTITUTE
900 Pennsylvania Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20003
na...@awionline.org<mailto:na...@awionline.org>
T: +1 202 446 2120 ~ F: +1 202 446 2131 ~ C: +1 240 401 4269
www.awionline.org<http://www.awionline.org/>

P  Please consider the animals and their habitat before printing.