On behalf of my coauthors I pleased to announce a new publication on pilot
whale social structure:

Mahaffy, S. D., Baird, R. W., McSweeney, D. J., Webster, D. L. and Schorr, G.
S. (2015), High site fidelity, strong associations, and long-term bonds:
Short-finned pilot whales off the island of Hawai‘i. Marine Mammal Science.
doi: 10.1111/mms.12234

Abstract:
Studies of short-finned pilot whales suggest they travel in stable mixed-sex
groups composed of strongly associated individuals; however, temporal analyses
of social structure are lacking. To examine site fidelity, association
patterns, and temporal relationships, we analyzed data from 267 encounters of
this species off the island of Hawai‘i from 2003 through 2007, identifying 448
distinctive individuals (68.1% seen more than once). About 72% of the whales
were linked by association into a single social network, suggesting the
possibility of multiple populations using the area. Sighting histories
suggested that only some individuals exhibit high site fidelity. Individuals
demonstrated preferential associations and community division was strongly
supported by average-linkage hierarchical cluster analysis of the association
data. Nine longitudinally stable social units composed of key individuals and
their constant companions were identified. Qualitative assignment of age and
sex classes of unit members indicated that some segregation between adult males
and female/calf pairs may occur. Temporal analyses of individuals encountered
on the same day indicate stable long-term associations. Differential patterns
of residency and site fidelity were unexpected and may be indicative of
multiple populations around the main Hawaiian Islands. The presence of a
resident population demonstrating strong, long-term site fidelity and
associations off Hawai‘i Island may warrant special management considerations.

The publication can be found online
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12234/abstract or by contacting
Sabre Mahaffy: mahaf...@cascadiaresearch.org

More information on our Hawai'i research program can be found at
http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/hawaii.htm

Sabre Mahaffy, M.Sc.
Research Biologist
Cascadia Research Collective