Dear all,

We are pleased to announce publication of the following article:

King, S. L., Schick, R. S., Donovan, C., Booth, C. G., Burgman, M., Thomas, L.,
Harwood, J. (2015). An interim framework for assessing the population
consequences of disturbance. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. doi:
10.1111/2041-210X.12411

 Summary

1. Changes in natural patterns of animal behaviour and physiology resulting
from anthropogenic disturbance
may alter the conservation status of a population if they affect the ability of
individuals to survive, breed or grow.
However, information to forecast population-level consequences of such changes
is often lacking.
2. We developed an interim framework to assess the population consequences of
disturbance when empirical
information is sparse.We show how daily effects of disturbance, which are often
straightforward to estimate, can
be scaled to the disturbance duration and to multiple sources of disturbance.
3. We used expert elicitation to estimate parameters that define how changes in
individual behaviour or physiology
affect vital rates and incorporated them into a stochastic population model.
Model outputs can be used to
evaluate cumulative impacts of disturbance over space and time. As an example,
we forecast the potential effects
of disturbance from offshore wind farm construction on the North Sea harbour
porpoise (Phocoena phocoena)
population.
4. Synthesis and applications. The interim framework can be used to forecast
the effects of disturbances from
human activities on animal populations, to assess the effectiveness of
mitigation measures and to identify priority
areas for research that reduces uncertainty in population forecasts. The last
two applications are likely to be
important in situations where there is a risk of unacceptable change in a
species’ conservation status. The framework
should, however, be augmented with empirical data as soon as these are
available.

You can access the article here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/2041-210X.12411/abstract

best wishes,