Open-access paper and 3D models of new fossil river dolphin from Panama

Hi MARMAM list,

On behalf of my coauthors, we wish to share the announcement, published on
Tuesday 9/1, of a new species of fossil river dolphin, Isthminia panamensis,
published in the open-access online journal PeerJ
(https://peerj.com/articles/1227/).

Pyenson ND, Vélez-Juarbe J, Gutstein CS, Little H, Vigil D, O’Dea A. (2015)
Isthminia panamensis, a new fossil inioid (Mammalia, Cetacea) from the Chagres
Formation of Panama and the evolution of ‘river dolphins’ in the Americas.
PeerJ 3:e1227 https://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj.1227

ABSTRACT: In contrast to dominant mode of ecological transition in the
evolution of marine mammals, different lineages of toothed whales (Odontoceti)
have repeatedly invaded freshwater ecosystems during the Cenozoic era. The
so-called ‘river dolphins’ are now recognized as independent lineages that
converged on similar morphological specializations (e.g., longirostry). In
South America, the two endemic ‘river dolphin’ lineages form a clade
(Inioidea), with closely related fossil inioids from marine rock units in the
South Pacific and North Atlantic oceans. Here we describe a new genus and
species of fossil inioid, Isthminia panamensis, gen. et sp. nov. from the late
Miocene of Panama. The type and only known specimen consists of a partial
skull, mandibles, isolated teeth, a right scapula, and carpal elements
recovered from the Piña Facies of the Chagres Formation, along the Caribbean
coast of Panama. Sedimentological and associated fauna from the Piña Facies
point to fully marine conditions with high planktonic productivity about
6.1–5.8 million years ago (Messinian), pre-dating the final closure of the
Isthmus of Panama. Along with ecomorphological data, we propose that Isthminia
was primarily a marine inhabitant, similar to modern oceanic delphinoids.
Phylogenetic analysis of fossil and living inioids, including new codings for
Ischyrorhynchus, an enigmatic taxon from the late Miocene of Argentina, places
Isthminia as the sister taxon to Inia, in a broader clade that includes
Ischyrorhynchus and Meherrinia, a North American fossil inioid. This
phylogenetic hypothesis complicates the possible scenarios for the freshwater
invasion of the Amazon River system by stem relatives of Inia, but it remains
consistent with a broader marine ancestry for Inioidea. Based on the fossil
record of this group, along with Isthminia, we propose that a marine ancestor
of Inia invaded Amazonia during late Miocene eustatic sea-level highs.

NOTE: A 3D print of the skull and jaws is currently on display at the BioMuseo
in Panama City, Panama. Also, 3D models are available for visualization,
measurement, download and 3D printing at the Smithsonian X 3D browser:
http://3d.si.edu

Nicholas D. Pyenson, Ph.D.

Curator of Fossil Marine Mammals
Department of Paleobiology
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
NHB, MRC 121, PO Box 37012
10th & Constitution NW
Washington, DC 20013-7012 USA

For FedEx, UPS, or other couriers, please use:
Nicholas Pyenson
Smithsonian Institution
MRC 121, Natural History Building, West Loading Dock
10th & Constitution NW
Washington, DC 20560 USA

Tel: 202-633-1366
Fax: 202-786-2832