Dear Colleagues,

The 2016 Ocean Sciences Meeting will be held 21-26 February 2016 in New
Orleans, Louisiana.  The meeting is an important venue for scientific exchange
across broad marine science disciplines, with sessions on all aspects of
oceanography.  We would like to call your attention to a session we will be
chairing entitled "Advances in the ecology, behavior, physiology, or
conservation of marine top predators" (ME002).  This session has been convened
at the Ocean Sciences meetings since 2010, and it provides a wonderful
opportunity for researchers studying a variety of taxa (including marine
mammals) to meet, exchange ideas, and explore commonalities in research
methods, scientific questions, and conservation efforts.  Please consider
submitting an abstract and attending the meeting.  Abstracts are due by 23
September 2015 (2 weeks from Wednesday).  More information on the session is
below.

Mark Baumgartner, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, mbaumgart...@whoi.edu
Daniel Palacios, Oregon State University, daniel.palac...@oregonstate.edu

------------------

Topic: Marine Ecosystems
Title: ME002. Advances in the ecology, behavior, physiology, or conservation of
marine top predators
Session ID#: 9588

Session Description:
Top predators are a vital part of the marine ecosystem, and as such, their
ecology, behavior and physiology can influence important processes such as
trophic interactions, carbon flow, and nutrient recycling.  Virtually all top
predators have a history of over-exploitation or they have special management
status because of their sensitivity to marine industrial activities and other
human uses (e.g., bycatch, shipping, resource exploration/extraction).  Basic
research on top predators often focuses on gaps in our understanding of their
ecology, but unlike many other branches of biological oceanography, research
can also be motivated directly by management and conservation needs.  This
session will focus on studies of the ecology, behavior, and physiology of
marine top predators that either advance our scientific understanding or
support the conservation of these important taxa.  Because Ocean Sciences
provides a unique forum for marine ecologists, marine biologists, and
oceanographers to interact, we seek contributions from researchers studying a
wide variety of taxa, including fish, squid, reptiles, seabirds, and marine
mammals, from anywhere in the world’s oceans.