Hello all,

We are in the final stages of building the recruitment package for a
Supervisory Research Fishery Biologist or Ecologist to lead the
Northeast Fisheries Science Center's Protected Species Branch in Woods
Hole, MA.  The Protected Species Branch is a group of very experienced
and talented field biologists and analysts focused on marine mammal
and sea turtle conservation (see http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/psb/).  In
the near future, the Branch is likely to expand its research efforts
to include work on endangered and threatened fish, through
incorporation of the Center’s Atlantic Salmon Research and
Conservation Task (see http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/salmon/). The
Center’s marine mammal, sea turtle, and diadromous fisheries
scientists work on some of the most endangered marine species
(Atlantic salmon and North Atlantic right whales); use cutting edge
technologies and transform them to operational research and monitoring
tools; lead international, national, and regional research programs;
and collaborate with a large array of federal, state, tribal,
academic, industry, and non-governmental organizations, as well as the
international science community.  This is an exciting time and place
to work on protected marine species. The Branch Chief who oversees
this work is a critical position for the Center, and we hope to
attract a strong applicant pool of candidates with science-supervisory
experience.

To improve our chances of attracting strong applicants, we wanted to
reach out broadly to let interested candidates know this opportunity
is coming.  Anyone interested should start preparing their materials
at USAJOBS (www.usajobs.gov). Once the job announcement is posted,
there will likely be a 2 week or less application period, and we
wanted interested candidates to have a little time in advance to start
getting their USAJOBS resume, transcripts, etc. in order.  We expect
the announcement to post in the next few weeks.

--
Mike Simpkins, Ph.D.
Chief, Resource Evaluation and Assessment Division