CETACEAN EDUCATION ASSISTANT

HEBRIDEAN WHALE AND DOLPHIN TRUST - TOBERMORY, ISLE OF MULL

Be part of a whale and dolphin conservation programme in 2016, in the heart
of the UK’s most celebrated and diverse marine environment; the Scottish
Hebrides!

Our Purpose: The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is the leading
voice for the conservation of Hebridean cetaceans; dedicated to enhancing
knowledge and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises and
the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within local communities towards lasting conservation.

About the Placement: HWDT operates a vital cetacean monitoring programme in
the Scottish Hebrides, conducting research into the distribution, abundance
and habitat use of whales, dolphins, porpoises and basking sharks. The
programme is well established, running for over 20 years.

This is a fantastic opportunity for passionate, outgoing individuals to join
our team based in the colourful and picturesque harbour town of Tobermory,
on the Isle of Mull; where we have our office, Visitor Centre and the
mooring for our research vessel Silurian.

During the placement you will work with our Education Team, visiting local
primary schools, and in our busy Visitor Centre to support the delivery of
our research and education programme. You will benefit from one-to-one
training in environmental education, gain valuable hands-on experience in
visitor engagement and interpretation, carry out boat based field research;
learning visual and acoustic data collection techniques.

Placement Dates: We are offering two 6-month volunteer placements running
from Monday 21st March – Friday 30th September 2016. Volunteers will work 5
days a week, including weekends and must be able to commit to the full
placement length.

What you will get out of it:

-   One-to-one environmental education training (both formal and informal)

-   Visitor engagement and customer service skills development

-   Hands on experience in event planning and resource development

-   Boat based marine mammal survey training (a minimum of 12 days at sea)

­   Valuable networking opportunities with partner organisations and the
potential to take part in additional training courses i.e. tissue sampling
courses

­   Vital workplace experience for career in marine conservation/education

­   Opportunity to live and work on a beautiful, remote Scottish Island.

Accommodation and living expenses: During the volunteer placement
accommodation can be arranged for you through our team. Typically,
accommodation in a shared house in Tobermory will costs between £60-£80 per
week (inclusive of bills). Tobermory is the largest town on the Isle of Mull
with a good range of facilities including a small co-op, pharmacy, pubs,
gift shops and cafes. Other amenities you may require i.e. large high street
chains, supermarkets, train station etc. can be found in Oban; a 45minute
ferry journey away. Please be aware that Mull is a remote island; only
accessible by ferry links from the Scottish mainland.  Unfortunately no
living expenses will be covered by HWDT, although travel to and from events
attended will be reimbursed.

Role description:

­   Deliver a daily Visitor Centre activity programme, including
presentations and workshops about local marine wildlife.

­   Assist with Visitor Centre administration including recording talk
numbers, sales and memberships.

­   Assist the Education Team to deliver land based school talks and field
trips onboard our unique Floating Classroom; Silurian.

­   Assist with boat-based marine mammal surveys; collecting and recording
visual sightings data, acoustic monitoring and carrying out photo ID
research.

­   Carry out headland wildlife watching events for visitors; spotting and
identifying seabirds and marine mammals for people of all ages.

­   Organise and run summer clubs for local children, attend community
events and shows.

­   Develop educational resources and write feature articles for the Trusts
monthly newsletter and bi-annual publication ‘Wave’.

Person Specification:

Essential

ü  Friendly, confident open communication style

ü  Keenness to learn new skills

ü  Previous customer service experience

ü  Experience delivering activities for young people

ü  Passionate about marine conservation

ü  Ability to live and work with colleagues as part of a small team

Desirable

ü  Degree in relevant education or environmental subject

ü  Experience working with schools

ü  Knowledge of Scottish cetaceans

ü  Full drivers licence and access to a car

To apply: Please email a current C.V. and covering letter outlining why you
are applying for the opportunity to volunteercoordina...@hwdt.org. For more
information please contact Morven Russell on 01688 302620.

Application deadline: 12 noon 22nd January 2016. Interviews: w/c 8 Feb 2016

Morven Russell
Volunteer Coordinator
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
28 Main Street
Tobermory
Isle of Mull
PA75 6NU

Tel: 01688 302620
 <mailto:volunteercoordina...@hwdt.org> volunteercoordina...@hwdt.org

 <http://www.hwdt.org/> www.hwdt.org

Please note my standard working days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.