Good afternoon,
Please could you post the following volunteer advert to the mailing list.
Thank you

Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch is a charity based on the Isle of Man working
towards the conservation of cetaceans in Manx waters through research and
education. We are currently recruiting full-time volunteer Marine Research
and Outreach Assistants for the 2016 season to work from Monday 2nd May to
Friday 2nd September. Please only apply if you can commit to the full
length of the placement. This vacancy is suitable for those with no
previous experience or qualifications. The deadline is 7th February 2016.

Manx territorial waters are home to 5 local species of cetacean and are of
particular importance to Risso's dolphins. The majority of your time here
will be split between four activities: land-based surveys, boat-based
surveys, office tasks and public engagement.

Land-based surveys are at the core of what we do and form the majority of
the effort based data that we collect.

Boat-based surveys take place on our research vessel “Girl Pat” whenever
the sea state is good enough. These surveys allow us to calculate relative
abundance of cetaceans and also are when we obtain the majority of our
images for photo-identification. These surveys are usually the highlights
of the summer and provide us with all of the offshore information currently
known about cetaceans in Manx waters.

The principal office activities you will participate in are data analysis
and photo-identification. Extensive work is being done with our Risso's
dolphin catalogue which you will help to collate.

2016 marks our 10 year anniversary and our first year as a registered
charity. Our Outreach and Education Officer is looking to organise a number
of public events to raise our profile and help raise funds. You will be
have the opportunity to assist her in the development, advertising and
running of these events. We also attend numerous small events such as
carnivals and fun-days with our stall to talk to the public about our work.
You may also have the opportunity to assist with children’s clubs and
school visits.

You will be living in a shared house along with the other members of staff
and volunteers. Rent is £50 per week plus bills. This position is unpaid
and volunteers will be expected to fund their own travel to the Isle of
Man.

We do not have a typical working week as we have to take advantage of good
weather when it is available, however, we typically work five days per week
including most weekends.

To apply, please email us on manxwhaleanddolphinwa...@gmail.com with a copy
of your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to come and
volunteer with us.

Please take a look at our website (www.mwdw.net) and find us on Facebook to
learn more about our work and the species you can see here.

--
Jen Adams

Outreach Officer
Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch