Final Call for participation in 2016 Cetacean Research Survey in the
Hebrides

Dear All,

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) conduct cetacean monitoring
surveys throughout our field season (April – Oct) from aboard our
fully-equipped research yacht, Silurian. Survey length ranges between 7 – 12
days, living aboard Silurian for the duration.

Every year we welcome aboard enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to
contribute directly to our research work.  Volunteers, in effect, become
marine mammal scientists for the duration of the survey; living and working
aboard Silurian, assisting with day-to-day running, as well as working
together as a team to carry out visual and acoustic surveys.  To find out
more about the research on board please follow this link
<http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/research-on-silurian.asp> .

We have produced a short a short video about joining us aboard; please CLICK
HERE to watch it.

Volunteers will assist fully in the collection of data, with full training
provided.  Acoustic and visual methods are combined to produce comprehensive
data sets. During encounters photographs are taken of dorsal fins to try and
identify the individual, gaining a better understanding of species movements
and interactions with each other.

The data collected is essential when monitoring the distribution, relative
abundance and habitat preference of cetacean species in the Hebrides. Only
with coherent data can effective conservation and management strategies be
designed to enable long-term protection of the variety of species found in
Hebridean waters.

As a volunteer aboard Silurian, you will have the opportunity to see
first-hand the amazing variety of marine wildlife the UK has to offer
including whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sharks and seabirds. You will
explore some of the remotest, wildest parts of the British Isles - anchoring
each night in a different bay off one of the many Hebridean islands,
venturing ashore to explore if you wish.  The opportunity to gain sailing
experience is also available, although no certificates are issued.

Rendezvous location is either in Tobermory (on the Isle of Mull - where HWDT
is based), Kyle of Lochalsh or Ullapool.  More information on specific
surveys will be provided on request. There is a monetary value attached to
participating which includes accommodation (aboard) and food throughout the
expedition.  The income generated allows HWDT to continue this well
established monitoring programme, you can be assured that without your
contribution our research couldn't be undertaken.

Please note that we offer a 10% student discount.

2016 Survey dates, rendezvous and cost:

*       1st - 7th May; Tobermory Rendezvous; £895 (Only 1 berth available)

*       11th - 19th May; Tobermory Rendezvous; £1,075

*       7th - 15th June; Kyle of Lochalsh Rendezvous; £1,175 (Limited
availability)

*       16th - 27th June; Kyle of Lochalsh Rendezvous; £1,395 (Limited
availability)

*       17th - 28th August; Tobermory Rendezvous; £1,395 (Only 1 berth
available)

*       2nd - 10th Sept; Ullapool Rendezvous; £1,075 (Limited availability)

*       18th - 29th Sept; Ullapool Rendezvous; £1,295

Survey berths are filling up quickly so please enquire now to avoid
disappointment.

For more information about the expeditions and how to join, please CLICK
HERE <http://www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk/get-involved-join-us-onboard.asp> .

Otherwise, contact HWDT’s volunteer coordinator Morven Russell:

Email: volunteercoordina...@hwdt.org

Tel: 01688 302620

Thank you, and hope to see you aboard this season!

Morven Russell
Volunteer Coordinator
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
28 Main Street
Tobermory
Isle of Mull
PA75 6NU

Tel: 01688 302620
 <mailto:volunteercoordina...@hwdt.org> volunteercoordina...@hwdt.org

 <http://www.hwdt.org/> www.hwdt.org

Please note my standard working days are Monday - Wednesday

The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.