Dear All,

Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to announce the publication of a new paper in Royal Society Open
Science:

Socially segregated, sympatric sperm whale clans in the Atlantic Ocean
By: Shane Gero, Anne Bøttcher, Hal Whitehead, Peter Teglberg Madsen

The paper is OPEN ACCESS and available here:

HTML Full Text:
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/cgi/content/full/rsos.160061?ijkey=0FzOZ0kR2i5RSiC&keytype=ref

PDF:
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/cgi/reprint/rsos.160061?ijkey=0FzOZ0kR2i5RSiC&keytype=ref

Abstract

Sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) are unusual in that there is good
evidence for sympatric populations with distinct culturally determined
behaviour, including potential acoustic markers of the population division. In
the Pacific, socially segregated, vocal clans with distinct dialects coexist;
by contrast, geographical variation in vocal repertoire in the Atlantic has
been attributed to drift. We examine networks of acoustic repertoire similarity
and social interactions for 11 social units in the Eastern Caribbean. We find
the presence of two socially segregated, sympatric vocal clans whose dialects
differ significantly both in terms of categorical coda types produced by each
clan (Mantel test between clans: matrix correlation = 0.256; p ≤ 0.001) and
when using classification-free similarity which ignores defined types (Mantel
test between clans: matrix correlation = 0.180; p ≤ 0.001). The more common of
the two clans makes a characteristic 1 + 1 + 3 coda, while the other less often
sighted clan makes predominantly regular codas. Units were only observed
associating with other units within their vocal clan. This study demonstrates
that sympatric vocal clans do exist in the Atlantic, that they define a higher
order level of social organization as they do in the Pacific, and suggests that
cultural identity at the clan level is probably important in this species
worldwide.

Cited as: Gero, S., Bøttcher, A., Whitehead, H. & Madsen, P.T. 2016 Socially
segregated, sympatric sperm whale clans in the Atlantic Ocean. R. Soc. Open
Sci. 3, 160061. (doi:10.1098/rsos.16006)

My very best,
Shane

****************************
Shane Gero<http://www.shanegero.com/>
FNU Research Fellow
Marine Bioacoustics Lab<http://www.marinebioacoustics.com/>
Institute for Bioscience
Aarhus University
Denmark

Learn more about The Dominica Sperm Whale Project at
http://www.thespermwhaleproject.org<http://www.thespermwhaleproject.org/> Find
us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/spermwhaleproject> or Follow
@DomWhale<https://twitter.com/DomWhale>