Dear MARMAM colleagues,

We​ are pleased to announce a paper on respiratory function in Patagonia sea
lions:

Fahlman, A., Madigan, J. (2016), Respiratory function in voluntary
participating Patagonia sea lions in sternal recumbency. Frontiers Physiology
doi: 10.3389/fphys.2016.00528

We measured esophageal pressures (n=4), respiratory flow rates (n=5), and
expired O2 and CO2 (n=4) in five adult Patagonia sea lions (Otaria flavescens,
body mass range 94.3-286.0 kg) during voluntary breaths while laying down. The
data were used to estimate the dynamic specific lung compliance (sCL, cmH2O-1),
the O2 consumption rate (VO2) and CO2 production rates (VCO2) during rest. Our
results indicate that the resting tidal volume in Patagonia sea lions is
approximately 47-73% of the estimated total lung capacity. The esophageal
pressures indicated that expiration is passive during voluntary breaths. The
average sCL of dolphins was 0.41±0.11 cmH2O−1, which is similar to those
measured in anesthetized sea lions and awake cetaceans, and significantly
higher as compared with humans (0.08 cmH2O−1). The average estimated and using
breath-by-breath respirometry were 1.023 ± 0.327 L O2 min-1 (range: 0.695-1.514
L O2 min−1) and 0.777 ± 0.318 L CO2 min-1, (range: 0.510-1.235 L CO2 min-1),
respectively, which is similar to previously published metabolic measurements
from California and Steller sea lions using conventional flow-through
respirometry. Our data provide end-tidal gas composition and provide novel data
for respiratory physiology in pinnpeds, which may be important for clinical
medicine and conservation efforts.

The paper is available at:
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2016.00528

Sincerely,