Dear MARMAM:

My co-authors and I are pleased to share the following article now published
online (e-First view) in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences:

Using passive acoustic monitoring to document the distribution of beaked whale
species in the western North Atlantic Ocean

Joy E. Stanistreet, Douglas P. Nowacek, Simone Baumann-Pickering, Joel T. Bell,
Danielle M. Cholewiak, John A. Hildebrand, Lynne E.W. Hodge, Hilary B.
Moors-Murphy, Sofie M. Van Parijs, and Andrew J. Read

Abstract:

Little is known about the ecology of many beaked whale species, despite
concerns raised by mass strandings linked to certain sources of anthropogenic
noise. Here, we used passive acoustic monitoring to examine spatial and
temporal patterns in beaked whale occurrence at six locations along the
continental slope in the western North Atlantic Ocean. We analyzed 2642 days of
recordings collected between 2011 and 2015, and identified echolocation signals
from northern bottlenose whales (Hyperoodon ampullatus), Cuvier’s (Ziphius
cavirostris), Sowerby’s (Mesoplodon bidens), Gervais’, (Mesoplodon europaeus),
and Blainville’s (Mesoplodon densirostris) beaked whales, and one signal type
of unknown origin. We recorded multiple species at each site, with detections
generally occurring year-round, and observed latitudinal gradients and
site-specific variation in relative species occurrence. Notably, we regularly
detected Cuvier’s beaked whales in a region where they have not been commonly
observed, and discovered potential habitat partitioning among Cuvier’s and
Gervais’ beaked whales within their overlapping ranges. This information on the
distribution and seasonal occurrence of North Atlantic beaked whale species
offers new insight into patterns of habitat use, and provides a year-round
baseline from which to assess potential anthropogenic impacts.

The full article is available at
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/full/10.1139/cjfas-2016-0503<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__el.nrcresearchpress.com_wf_click-3Fupn-3DdP8dcZ0aLvymtkMq0Fq2-2D2BcuLXxICrWGF7VKKt1fFfiGxxllB8CBFYBjsvefLuEXRTL5NB0tDz4fhrbVCEdnGI-2D2FPgoYJ642uj7dgb193gmMM-2D3D-5FOUGBxeMeIDFL8sAwq9-2D2F-2D2FT9YmbH4KU53MAk3CC7cu8gPa8Q2tJK-2D2BQTMmbkQDxbmlhcm-2D2F72AivOgzQfIemjSw4ViTT2jcQVDAfAW54cYR-2D2FqFtOwFkDa8v1e5PeKeeMDc3Uyvu0DGTN-2D2BGSgjAv2gUjOrN0glkNKKUmggmCI5Vw6YhCucErvAm30EbegfD829zfhcvbadn449QlkoMHC8MLDzAj8b74TXThT9HWyjlKy7cpxeJLPal3q8RtxOx841URxyKqQkq-2D2BxRFVG9-2D2F-2D2BNaZO8HJxJkJfHOYQvqKMsisROVxiznJPhlctpqkIfwaPuNXWphprK9iKonvaxQjOrC67Uksi-2D2FuayyGLWx-2D2BS882FO5RG-2D2B-2D2F6RXkVFEJmKm1OD1AkEfc43-2D2BjWTbrkoL8jTrAss-2D2F-2D2Bzg-2D3D-2D3D&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ee3wDF6HcFqrQBFgai7XsTUQW0GrCC5_MrY2IA3YsFs&m=jdnaYiBXbG3_tVQ59sNs0CAa9yu6MC1VonFTLGZQo8w&s=9uMVoCMD2VcgdzeimDnSewm32Wj3T2_KXvVt8Y607rI&e=>.

To request a pdf copy please email
joy.stanistr...@duke.edu<mailto:joy.stanistr...@duke.edu>.

Cheers,
Joy