My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our study on the
ontogeny of foraging skills in grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) pups:

"Intrinsic and extrinsic factors drive ontogeny of early-life at-sea behaviour
in a marine top predator"
Carter, MID; Russell, DJF; Embling, CB; Blight, CJ; Thompson, D; Hosegood, PJ;
Bennett, KA. Scientific Reports 7:15505.
DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-15859-8

The article is fully open-access and can be downloaded at the following link:
http://rdcu.be/ysZd<http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=KP7O1RED-2BlD0F9LDqGVeSOkY41gQHNiBDjTPPsVTf-2FA-3D_eLFMrKDT8iBxZ-2Fbnk-2BZqvRSkx1P63wdyDAsZQNAhq3AuZvkk94NB4jeQ434SjkYIitfMxGO6IzZQVKQtEr0f23CrwFw0v3yRsflW6wPtwSULa5DqMKa-2FBXb9L0A4G9hnWxfJjoVhqH9-2BQU46GNFTKM9qB9b5KMzonzxNZWHwhhvz6L0ui6GuC-2FPcvHKGo5mxgenN6-2B94HBGkzdIcFckoRVQ8S8XPg17h0aHSJcHTWlPIUu7hM0nnTS24gUc7ez6h285ugqOkLbKSeTChNdy5WQ18Bi7SHq6SUA0OdVp7Ats-3D>

ABSTRACT: Young animals must learn to forage effectively to survive the
transition from parental provisioning to independent feeding. Rapid development
of successful foraging strategies is particularly important for capital
breeders that do not receive parental guidance after weaning. The intrinsic and
extrinsic drivers of variation in ontogeny of foraging are poorly understood
for many species. Grey seals (Halichoerus grypus) are typical capital breeders;
pups are abandoned on the natal site after a brief suckling phase, and must
develop foraging skills without external input. We collected location and dive
data from recently-weaned grey seal pups from two regions of the United Kingdom
(the North Sea and the Celtic and Irish Seas) using animal-borne telemetry
devices during their first months of independence at sea. Dive duration, depth,
bottom time, and benthic diving increased over the first 40 days. The shape and
magnitude of changes differed between regions. Females consistently had longer
bottom times, and in the Celtic and Irish Seas they used shallower water than
males. Regional sex differences suggest that extrinsic factors, such as water
depth, contribute to behavioural sexual segregation. We recommend that
conservation strategies consider movements of young naïve animals in addition
to those of adults to account for developmental behavioural changes.

Follow the project on Researchgate:
https://www.researchgate.net/project/Ontogeny-of-Foraging-in-Grey-Seal-Pups

Matt Carter
PhD Student
Marine Biology and Ecology Research Centre
School of Biological and Marine Sciences
Plymouth University

E-mail: matthew.car...@plymouth.ac.uk<mailto:matthew.car...@plymouth.ac.uk>
Twitter: @MattIDCarter<https://twitter.com/MattIDCarter>
@MarineVerts<https://twitter.com/MarineVerts>
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Matt_Carter2

________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained
is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this
email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your
system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every
care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does
not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in
this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless
accompanied by an official order form.