Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication on fin
whales in Marine Ecology Progress Series.

Gauffier P, Verborgh P, Giménez J, Esteban R, Salazar Sierra JM, de Stephanis R
(2018) Contemporary migration of fin whales through the Strait of Gibraltar.
Mar Ecol Prog Ser 588:215-228. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps12449

Abstract:

ABSTRACT: Fin whales Balaenoptera physalus used to be abundant in the Strait of
Gibraltar and nearby Atlantic areas until their rapid collapse due to intense
whaling at the beginning of the 20th century. Recent studies seem to indicate
that some fin whales, believed to belong to the North East North Atlantic
(NENA) stock, now use the area to travel between the Atlantic Ocean and the
Mediterranean Sea. In this study, we analyzed 15 yr of direct observations
combining vessel and land-based surveys with photo-identification to
characterize the migration of fin whales through the Strait. These combined
observations provide a temporal and spatial analysis of the whales’ movement
patterns and behavioral activity. Our main findings suggest a migration of a
small community of fin whales through the Strait of Gibraltar, with remarkable
seasonal directionality. All whales travelled towards the Atlantic Ocean
between May and October, and 69% towards the Mediterranean Sea between November
and April. Observations of young whales exiting the Mediterranean Sea mainly
between May and July suggest that at least part of this community is likely to
calve in the basin. Due to the special sensitivity of the species to ship
strikes and underwater noise, and the intense maritime traffic in the Strait of
Gibraltar, we urge Spain and Morocco to cooperate through the International
Maritime Organization (IMO) to ensure a safe crossing of these whales by the
effective implementation and year-round extension of the existing
recommendation of a seasonal vessel speed reduction to 13 knots.

Please do not hesitate to request a pdf copy if you cannot access it online.

All the best,
Pauline